Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 6 July 10th

Walking over to have breakfast and saw this nice what I think is a 1935 Chevy

Stewey had a little accident with a firearm awhile back. I guess he got tired of the same question. :)

This is a shot of the first time I saw Joe actually riding his new Cross Country. It was in the parking lot at Wal-Mart (Spearfish, SD)

We rode to Bear Butte today just NE of Sturgis, SD. It is a sacred place to the Indians......

.....but the buffalo just think they serve a good lunch.


Sherm and I walked across the road to take the pictures of the buffalo. He was really exhausted by the time we got back to the bikes.

The new icon at the Full Throttle

Can you say Beer Run!

For one week a year this is the worlds largest bar. It covers 10 acres.

I'm pretty sure that's Sherm having a tall one

I think they figured that if you just put out a big pile of CRAP, they would come. It must be working.

I see he got the T-shirt too.



When we stopped for lunch today and got off the bikes, I noticed this gal wouldn't stop staring at me. I think it was the helmet hair.

In a week this little town of 5,000 will have an additional 500,000 guest. I gues that is actually about 3 weeks away.

This is the pit mine of the Homestake Mine in Lead, SD. They call it the homestake because the mine would work until they could go home in style.

Lead got it's name because this is where they found the surface vein of gold that would Lead them to the mother load.



One of the large winches that would lift the ore from 5,000' below the surface.

This is a large Pelton wheel. They are used to turn a generator etc. when the water pressure is high, but low volumn. When the water exits the wheel virtually all of it energy has been exhausted.

One of the large bull gears used to turn the winch. This one weighs 32,000#. I seem to have gotten a big head along the way.

One of several Homestake Mine shafts. I don't believe they are operating any more, but they look like they could restart in a moments notice. One has been made into an underground laboratory to study nutrina. Not sure about that spelling, but they hit the earth as such a great speed that in order to view they they must travel through the earths surface quite a distance to slow them down to a speed at which they can be studied. I was told they might hold the key to the mystery of black holes.



If Sherm ever moves back to Coos Bay I think he might get one of these.

This is the reason I had time to get all of these pictures in Lead, SD

This might work better if it were a YELLOW bike!

Miller Time! Tom and his daughter Lauren arrived just in time for dinner.

Miller Time! Tom and his daughter Lauren arrived just in time for the evening meal. They catching up with Joe and Susan. They still had four to go to catch up <G>

No comments:

Post a Comment